How to Prepare Banga Soup This 2020
I had the pleasure of learning how to make this soup during my NYSC days
in Nnewi Anambra State. You see, before my ‘stint’ in Anambra, I did not know that it was possible to eat rice with Banga soup.
With this steps you will be able to prepare Every restaurant or ‘food place’ I visited while in Anambra sold rice but never sold stew with it. You either eat it with Banga or you don’t eat it at all. So, I had to adjust my Lagos taste buds, learn how to make Banga soup and live like a Anambra indigene and I haven’t
stopped making it since then.
See below for the recipe. You can thank me later.
Here are Ingredients on How to Prepare Banga soup this 2020
Palm fruit extract (This is the most important
Chicken/Beef/Turkey/ Fresh fish
Pepper (Cameroun Pepper)
Oburunbebestick also known as Banga stick
DriedBeletientien(atama) leaves/ Dried bitter
Salt to taste
Follow the following methods
1. Wash your palm fruits thoroughly and put them on fire to cook.
2. Check the palm fruits to be sure they were soft enough, put them in a mortar and pound them with a pestle. This way, you extract the oil from the palm fruits. (These days, most people just use their food processor to make this process better. I still stick to my mortar and pestle though.) Next, boil the extract until there is no oil left.
3. Then, add your already cooked stockfish,
pepper, crayfish, salt and seasoning, add
the Banga spice.
4. Drop the Obunrubebe stick into the
already cooking pot (Obunrubebe is a
special Banga spice used to add flavour to the soup). You can keep the stick after this cooking for subsequent use.
5. Make sure you keep checking
the Banga soup so it doesn’t become too
6. Add the beletientien leaves, let it boil for some time before you add any other
already cooked protein into it.
7. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for a
8. Your soup is ready.
Kindly remember to remove the Banga stick before serving, serve with Starch or Fufu.